Khadi as Fashion Fabric
Points in against of the topic
- Khadi is handspun and hand-woven and hence has limited aesthetic appeal
- Limited types of fibers can be used - cotton, silk, wool
- Technologically way behind than latest fashion fabrics like Liva
- Deep-rooted sentiments such as nationalism and freedom are associated with khadi and such people might be reluctant to accept bold designs and patterns prevalent in latest fashion trends.
- Khadi mostly demonstrates patriotism and is usually adopted by politicians and intellectuals.
- Limited techniques of dyeing and printing can be implemented.
- Portrays modesty.
- Considered to be a rustic fabric, not projecting modernism and luxury.
- Production is hampered by the unorganized nature of the khadi industry.
- Khadi production seems to be totally in control of the government.
- There is debate among designers regarding the versatility of the fabric.
- Khadi-look does not work with the young generation.
- There is nothing special in khadi other than the sentiments like swaraj, freedom, self-reliance, and patriotism.
Points in favor of the topic
- Comfortable fabric- stays cool in summer and warm in winter; comfort is one of the key ingredients of fashion.
- Processing techniques of khadi have improved thereby facilitating the introduction of new varieties of khadi in the market.
- The fashion industry has adopted khadi as fashion fabric; designers are venturing into producing more innovative designs.
- Ace Indian designers like Ritu Kumar, Rohit Bal, Sabyasachi Mukherjee, Devika Bhojwani, Neeru Kumar have come up with khadi collections giving it a new chic look.
- Qualities such as being skin-friendly, environment-friendly, green fabric, breathable makes it an attractive option for designers.
- Khadi is catching the attention of youngsters.
- Versatile fabric- can be experimented with new drapes and cuts, embroidery, embellishments, etc.
- Celebs like Amitabh Bachchan and Narendra Modi being associated with khadi makes it a rage in Indian fashion.
- Foreign fashion platforms consider khadi to be exotic fabric.